Our Restaurant quality RSPCA Approved fresh chicken drumsticks are a favorite at the dinner table whether crumbed, fried, or marinated.
Clean out your pantry with this customization one-pan dinner by epicurious.com that can be seasoned with whatever spices you happen to have on hand. Serves 4.
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 2 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon or cumin
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric, curry powder, or ground coriander
- 1/2 cup white rice (any type except for sticky rice)
- 1 (400g) can chickpeas, white beans, black beans, or other beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped tender herbs, such as cilantro, parsley, mint, basil, and/or dill
- Season drumsticks on all sides with 2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. black pepper.
- Heat oil in a large deep-sided skillet over medium-high. Add chicken and cook, turning once halfway through, until skin is golden brown, about 10 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.
- Add onion, cinnamon, and turmeric to fat in skillet and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add rice and stir to coat. Add 1 1/4 cups hot water, scraping up browned bits from pan, then stir in chickpeas, dried fruit (if using), red pepper (if using), and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt. Nestle chicken back into skillet and bring liquid to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through, 20–25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork, then scatter herbs over.